Saturday, March 24, 2012

Selamat malam! (I miss saying that..and lima haha)

Well, just one week ago we were all sitting in Jakarta airport waiting to find out when/if our plane was going to ever leave. I cannot believe how fast time goes.  Our week in Indonesia seemed to fly by, although we did so many things in just one week. I can't count the number of times I have "relived" our trip through my pictures and videos already, thank God for cameras!  Today I finally had time to catch up on all the journaling and sit and think about all the amazing things we did. So many people I talk to keep asking, "Well, what was your favorite thing?" This question is near impossible to even think about, let alone give an answer for. I still have to pinch myself when I think about how we were literally on the opposite side of the world, and am overwhelmed with thankfulness for this incredible opportunity and experience.

As I thought over each day of our trip today, I had to stop and think..."we did all of that in one day???" It is a lot to think about and wrap your mind around when reflecting on all the different things we experienced. It's not easy to get a really full and encompassed idea of an entirely different culture in just one week; but if it could be done, we did it. Not only was our scheduled packed with exciting things each day, our group was perfectly cohesive. And by cohesive I mean we had a great time together doing anything from trying new and exotic foods to sitting in airports for hours upon hours, all the while finding ways to make fun of each other and laugh at almost anything/everything.  So..how does one begin to reflect on an incredible trip like the one we have been describing?

Sights. Perhaps the easiest and most tangible place to start would be the places we went and things we saw. Prambanan, Borobudur, Mt. Merapi, Ramayana Ballet, schools, the hospital, pharmacy, the Bizztro (can't forget that one :P), Batik, silver shop, clay pot shops, meat market (yum), and many more! If you have had the chance to look at anyone's photos from our trip, it is clear that the Indonesian sights are simply stunning. I cannot even begin to talk about the amazing views we saw.  Camera's can't capture the view of city of Salatiga we saw each night, and I must say some of my happiest moments happened with a cup of coffee in the morning while looking out at volcanoes and mountains in the distance.

Sounds. Now this is something that is a little bit harder to capture. However, with Chris and Will's video-taping habits put together, I'm pretty sure you could virtually be on the trip with us haha. From the first night, I knew things would not be the same (roosters were yelling literally all night..what an experience haha). For me, the most impressive sounds were the music, the wildlife, and then just the sound of the Indonesian language.  The music was very intriguing, whether it was Indonesian pop on the way to the airport in the van, or angklung outside on the streets of Jogja.  The wildlife was something that we aren't so used to hearing all the time..or hardly ever here in America. I liked the geckos the best, which make sort of a barking or ribbeting noise..sort of hard to explain, but I didn't know they sounded like that! Languages have always particularly interested me. I love hearing different sounds and accents from all over the world, and Indonesian was definitely one that I haven't heard much (at all) before.  It was such a blessing to have Bethany and her parents, Pac Tim and Ibu Rhonda with us at all times to break down that barrier somewhat. But I must say, Mas Ali and I had some really good conversations about photography with a few english words and mostly charades :)

Smiles. Here comes my favorite part.  Every person I met there had a friendliness and warmth about them that was simply unexplainable.  No one passed by without a quick hello or a sweet smile.  I loved the laid-back feel of the culture and was so impressed by the Javanese people.  Bethany's parents gave us a little more insight to the culture telling us that they highly value respect and don't like to embarrass others.  One instance that really impacted me happened the first night we were in Yogyakarta. One of us (cough Kevin cough), left something in the food court of the mall we ate at and didn't realize until we were back out on the street. When he turned around to get it, someone had ran down the four flights of stairs to find him and give him his things. I don't know a lot of places in which that would happen! Another thing I loved was that after we finished eating dinner at the Indonesian family's home, we all just hung out and enjoyed each other.  In America, I feel like we are always on to the next thing, or feel the need to be on the computer or watching something, but I really liked just sitting on the porch with friends and enjoying the evening.  Even the people I met in passing in Indonesia left a kind and friendly impression on me.

I have been talking for a while now and I still feel like I have only skimmed the surface of the country and culture of Indonesia. And because my photos can show what my words can't, I leave you with these... - Jo










1 comment:

  1. Tim and I are SO glad that we could be a part of your team's Indonesia experience. Great memories! Hope that we can have a reunion there at Shenandoah in a couple of years... we'll be sure to bring the kecap manis, sambal and tea!

    ReplyDelete